This easy one-pan Whole30 Frittata with Italian Sausage and Veggies comes together in a matter of minutes. This dairy-free and gluten-free breakfast can be made in advance for a delicious and nutritious grab-and-go Whole30, Paleo and Keto-friendly breakfast option!
Frittatas are one my favorite breakfast/brunch dishes. They might look fancy, but they are so easy to make and even easier to customize! I've made frittatas with all sorts of ingredients, but for this one I went with an assortment of Italian flavors. I'm currently on the tail end of a round of Whole30, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't craving pizza. This frittata is jam packed with the pizza-like flavors I'm yearning for. Craving cured and crisis averted.
What Do I Cook a Frittata In?
An ovenproof skillet is essential for making the perfect frittata. I scored a large cast iron skillet from a thrift store years ago, and it quickly became my favorite culinary tool! Before investing in a brand new one, you should definitely scope out your local second hand store. The skillet will already be well-seasoned, and it will definitely be cheaper than purchasing a brand new one. Double win!
No cast iron? No worries. You can also use a casserole dish. The cooking times may vary depending on the size dish you use, so keep that in mind!
How to Make a Whole30 Frittata with Italian Sausage & Veggies
To make this frittata, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Then, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to an ovenproof skillet. Heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
Next, add sliced Whole30 compliant Italian sausage to the skillet and cook for a few minutes until lightly browned. Trader Joe's makes a Whole30 compliant Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage that works perfectly for this dish. It's precooked so it will only take a few minutes to brown. If you're using raw sausage links be sure to cook the sausage all the way through before moving on to the next step.
Once the sausage is browned, add the veggies to the pan and saute until they begin to soften (about 3 minutes). They'll continue to soften in the oven, so don't stress it if they're not completely cooked through. While the sausage and vegetables are cooking, begin preparing the egg mixture.
In a large bowl, whisk together 1 dozen eggs, ¼ cup of nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon of onion powder, and a ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (these are those pizza-ish flavors I was talking aboout).
Remove the skillet from the heat and add the egg mixture. Give it a good stir. Removing the skillet from the heat during this step prevents the eggs from scrambling before the dish goes into the oven.
Lastly, bake the frittata in your preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. A good way to test for doneness is to stick a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it's done! Let the frittata rest for five minutes before slicing. ENJOY!
Do Frittatas Reheat Well?
They sure do! Simply throw a slice in the microwave for a minute or two and voila! It's the perfect addition to your weekly meal prep. Simply slice it into six equal pieces and store in the fridge for a delicious on-the-go breakfast. It's also a great dish to serve at a breakfast or brunch. Your family will LOVE it!
Check out the detailed recipe below! If you make this recipe, I'd love to hear all about it! Tag me in your foodie photos on social media @paleoishkrista with #paleoishkristaeats!
PIN NOW! MAKE LATER!
While you're here, why don't you check out some more delicious Whole30 breakfast and brunch recipes?
Whole30 Sheet Pan Breakfast Bake
Whole30 Loaded Brunch Casserole
Whole30 Frittata with Italian Sausage & Veggies
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Whole30-compliant Italian sausage links sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- 1 ½ cup bell peppers diced
- ⅓ cup yellow onion diced
- ⅓ cup white mushroom sliced
For the Egg Mixture
- 12 large eggs
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep ingredients. Slice sausage links into ¼ inch thick rounds. Dice bell pepper and onion. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a large ovenproof skillet (or casserole baking dish) and heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add the sliced sausage and cook until lightly browned and cooked through (about 5 minutes for precooked sausage links and 10 minutes for raw sausage links).
- Stir in the bell peppers, onions and mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat once vegetables begin to soften.
- While the sausage and vegetables cook, whisk together eggs, nutritional yeast, salt, ground white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the egg mixture into the skillet with the sausage and vegetables and stir until well combined.
- Bake in preheated oven until the top is lightly browned and the eggs are fluffy and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Let frittata rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve immediately or slice and portion into separate containers to quickly reheat as needed.
Before you head out, don't forget to subscribe to my mailing list for quick & delicious PALEOISH recipes sent straight your inbox once a month! No more, no less!