I'm a firm believer that there are two types of people in this world -people who love brussels sprouts and the weirdos who don't. My boyfriend is one of those weirdos. A few weeks ago we stopped into this burger joint in DC and I ordered a brussels sprouts dish that was to die for! Without a doubt, the best brussels sprouts I've ever had! My boyfriend even had a few bites and seemingly enjoyed them (although he'd never admit it). I knew I had to create a recipe for brussels sprouts just as delicious, and guess what? I nailed it.
I've had success in the past roasting brussels sprouts, but never were they as good as these air fried sprouts. I've had my air fryer since Christmas, and it's quickly become my most-used kitchen appliance. I cook practically everything in that thing -whole chickens, steaks, pork chops, sausages and all sorts of vegetables. I love it! It's super simple to use and everything comes out perfect!
How to Make the Best Ever Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
From start to finish, these sprouts take 15 minutes and require very little kitchen skills apart from knowing how to use a knife and turn on an air fryer. The first step is to trim the stems and cut each sprout in half. Next, toss the sprouts in the spices and the melted bacon grease. I almost always save my bacon grease. After cooking bacon, I let the excess grease cool slightly and then spoon it into a glass container. Bacon grease will stay good in the fridge for at least 6 months and is a great substitution for butter in many dishes. I have yet to come across a vegetable that didn't taste wonderful cooked in bacon grease.
Lastly, simply put the sprouts in the air fryer, set the fryer to 400 degrees and cook for 10 minutes tossing halfway through. If you prefer your sprouts a little less al dente, leave them in the air fryer for a few more minutes. Otherwise, transfer the sprouts to a bowl and finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, a sprinkle of fresh lemon zest and THAT'S IT -a delicious Whole30 compliant side dish on the table in 15 minutes! I hope you enjoy these sprouts as much as I do! Enjoy!
PIN NOW! AIR FRY LATER!
The Best Ever Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon grease melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ of a lemon juice and zest
- Toss halved and trimmed brussels sprouts with melted bacon grease and spices in a large bowl.
- Transfer brussels sprouts to air fryer.
- Using the manual settings, set air fryer to 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking time, remove fryer basket and give the brussels sprouts a gentle toss. Return basket to air fryer.
- After 10 minutes, transfer brussels sprouts to serving dish and finish with the juice and zest of half a lemon.