Need the perfect, easy side dish to serve on your patio or bring along to your next backyard BBQ? Look no further than this recipe for grilled veggie skewers with sweet Italian vinaigrette! The sweetness of the vinaigrette and the freshness of the seasonal produce go together perfectly in this gorgeous dish! It's gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo-friendy, Whole30 compliant and Vegan making it a winning dish for all of the dietary requests around your picnic table!
I'm really excited about this dish because it's my first grilling recipe! I don't actually own a grill because I live in a condo and that's a big "no no," but I do own a double burner grill pan. Let me tell you, that thing works wonders! That being said, let's get grillin'!
These skewers are super simple to prepare. In fact, this may be my easiest recipe to date. They require just 7 ingredients (not including the vinaigrette), and you can have them on the table in 30 minutes or less. They're also beautiful. I mean seriously, look at all of those colors!
For the veggies, I went with a "taste the rainbow" theme. Each skewer is threaded with red and yellow bell peppers, purple shallots, bright green zucchini and portabella mushrooms (not the prettiest color but delicious nonetheless). Before throwing these skewers on the grill, I brushed them with a little avocado oil and lightly seasoned them with salt and pepper. These veggies are amazing with or without the vinaigrette. The grill adds the perfect amount of smoky flavor to each bite.
Note: each veggie cooks at its own rate, so make sure to thread the shallots and bell peppers together onto skewers and the zucchini and mushrooms onto separate skewers. The shallots and the bell peppers should be crisp-tender in about 10 minutes, while the zucchini and mushrooms should be ready in about 8. Make sure to occasionally rotate the skewers to get an even char on each veggie.
The vinaigrette is also super easy to prepare. Simply add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk vigorously until smooth. I tripled the vinaigrette recipe last time I made it, so I'd have plenty of leftovers to use as salad dressing later on in the week!
To serve simply place the skewers onto a platter with the sweet Italian vinaigrette on the side, so your guests can drizzle as much or as little as they want onto their veggies.
This recipe is super customizable. Not a fan of one of the veggies? No problem. Simply swap it out with something else! Other grill-friendly veggies include sweet potatoes, eggplant and grape tomatoes. You could even add fresh fruits like grapes, pineapple, mango or peaches! Just be sure to choose ones with similar cooking times to skewer together or make separate skewers if you're not sure!
If you make these skewers, be sure to make plenty. I am super confident that they'll be devoured in no time! I look forward to seeing what kinds of veggies (or fruit) combos you come up with!
Pin Now! Grill Later!
Grilled Veggie Skewers with Sweet Italian Vinaigrette
For the skewers
- 2 bell peppers
- 6 small shallots
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 pint portabella mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- bamboo skewers soaked
For the vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet Italian vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the skewers
- Preheat outdoor grill or double burner grill pan on medium-high heat.
- Halve the bell peppers, remove the seeds and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Halve the zucchini and cut into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Peel and quarter the shallots.
- Halve the portabella mushrooms.
- Thread the mushrooms and zucchini together onto pre-soaked skewers.
- Thread the shallots and bell peppers together onto pre-soaked skewers.
- Brush veggie skewers generously with avocado oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill skewers until vegetables have visible grill marks and are crisp-tender (about 8 minutes for the zucchini and mushrooms and about 10 minutes for the bell peppers and shallots); turning occasionally.
For the vinaigrette
- While the veggies are grilling, in s small bowl, add the extra virgin olive oil, sweet Italian vinegar, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes and salt and whisk vigorously until smooth.
- To serve: arrange skewers on a serving platter and serve the vinaigrette on the side for guests to drizzle as much or as little as they like.